Sunday, September 16, 2007

Life drawring... round 3!


It seems so far for me, that a lot of the classes in this third year have a common theme:

Back to basics!

Which, honestly, I can REALLY use! After a while of building up new skills and techniques and styles, when you go back to doing something super simple, it's like, "Wait – what?? I don't know what I'm doing!!"

This term we have Bobby Chiu to lead us in his life drawing wisdom... and so far, I am muchly enjoying his lessons! It has filled in a lot of blanks for me, and I think will help heaps as I continue to grow on this meandering journey of being an artist.

Bobby also created a blog for us third year-ers to post our life drawrings. Good idea!
If you feel so inclined, take a gander: http://lifedrawers.blogspot.com/

Here's some notes I took the first week back, it was really helpful for me on how to simplify profiles, especially when you go to do caffe drawings and such.

The first thing Bobby made us do was 5 1-min poses, back to back – ay, but here's the catch – we could NOT look at our paper the entire time. Believe it or not, it really helped to monitor proportions, and also to JUST concentrate on seeing the model, and drawing what you see. Not what you see on your paper. I attached the end result for fun :) What do you see? Maybe it could be used as one of those Rorschach tests!


First week was about structure. He told us to think of the figure as a tree, how is the trunk positioned, how are the branches... just look at the shapes and try to not think of it as a person. Very helpful! Here's a couple from the first week: [yep, I felt rusty!]



This past week was about how things fit together. Not necessarily in an anatomy form, but how would you construct a person if you didn't know how things were put together? Hence my drawing above. She looks like she got some attitude.

Onward and upward!

5 comments:

Brad said...

I see some sort of a Jamaician voodoo type lady giving her son, who apparently has been impaled by a violin, a spanking. I really don't see why it's the son's fault, unless he was playing some sort of jump-off-the-roof-onto-a-violin type game, which, if that is the case, her son has more issues than a spanking can solve.

Unknown said...

You're moving in the right direction and I appreciate the hard work.

Watch your proportions Stacey! Thanks for contributing to the blog!

Stacey Chomiak said...

Thanks for the comment, Bobby! I'll definitely keep working at it.

Thanks for setting up the blog - great idea!

Hodges said...

I dont know if it helps, but to me it seems in your life drawings your looking far too much on the outside (border linework) and not enough on what the inside is to create that outside. I think more structure and proportion practice will really help, you already have a nice line.

Stacey Chomiak said...

Hey Sean, thanks for the input! I definitely know that's one of my problems, I have been trying to work on that since last year.

I'll keep working, thanks!